Monday, November 21, 2011

At long last...

Finally, a blog post! I appreciate the emails and Ravelry messages I've gotten over the past couple of months, but want to assure you that everything here is fine. Mom and dad are doing great. The dogs are all happy, healthy and always looking for trouble. I've just been so busy, working at the museum and at Glitter World. I have so much to get everyone caught up on that there is no way I can do it in one post. In the first place, I would be up all night working on it, and in the second place, it would bore you all to tears.

Have you ever heard the joke about "How do you eat an elephant?" Answer: One bite at a time. Anyway, I have a big ol' elephant of stuff to share, and will be writing "bites" until I get caught up. Now for the first bite. No pun intended... You'll understand this later on.

A couple of months ago, my niece who works at the local PetSmart posted a picture of a blind mouse in need of a home on her Facebook page. Apparently this little guy came into the store for sale and was missing an eye and she was afraid it would become "snake food". It's bad enough for these little mousies to be sold for food (yes, I know about the circle of life and the food chain and all that, but I don't want to see it or allow it to happen on my watch, you know?) but this poor little guy would never see the snake coming at him and have no chance at all to get away.

Well, since I am not using credit cards, I had to wait 3 days until payday to go at get little Stevie. (I named him after Stevie Wonder, being blind and all) Not having had any caged pets since I was a kid, I needed the cage, litter, bottles, dishes, food, etc. and had to wait until I got the cash. So, on payday I went to PetSmart and bought this:

Stevie, Carlos & Cliff
It's not just a simple cage, it's an apartment tower of mousey-fun! I went with the super-size accommodations, because Stevie was in a cage with two other mice, and I didn't want to buy just Stevie and have him miss his little friends. Of course, I couldn't choose which of the other two mice to buy, and if I only bought one, the other one would be all alone, so of course I had to buy all three mice.

Admittedly, I had no idea what I was getting into, and I don't recommend anyone purchase a pet if they do not fully understand what the care of that pet entails. In fact, I have never had any great fondness for mice. Really, I hate the little suckers. Correction... I USED to hate the little suckers. Somehow I managed to convince myself that little Stevie was going to be snake bait and I was his only hope for survival. So, I just jumped in with both feet and am in this for the long haul...for better or for worse.

Better: There is a Rat and Mouse Club of America and the people on the forums there are very helpful to newbies like me.

Better: They are all boys, so there will not be any additional mice.

Worse: They are all boys, and boys will fight to the death as they mature.

Worse: I had to purchase two additional cages to prevent mouse homicide... or mouse-icide????

Worse: Boy mice are notoriously stinky, and one boy mouse smells as bad as five girl mice.

Worse: My laundry room immediately took on the odor of 15 mice. We're talking really, really stinky.

Better: My sister's secretary took one of the mice off of my hands.

Worse: The laundry room still smelled like it had 10 mice. Still really, really stinky.

Better: There is a product that you add to their water bottles and it helps to neutralize the odor of mouse urine.

Worse: It takes several weeks to get the odor down to a manageable level.

Worse: Mice bite. They bite and hang on with a vengeance even when you are screaming and trying to shake them off of your hand.

Worse: If you are bitten by a mouse (or two, or three) you need to get a tetanus shot and an antibiotic. Just add the co-pay and prescription to the cost of the mice, cages, litter, food, water additive, etc., etc., etc. Also, the doctor has to call the county board of health and then tells you to monitor the mice for any non-mouse-like behavior. Rabies, you know.

Better: I have two new little souls that it is surprisingly easy to love. Here is little Stevie:

Stevie Wonder

And here is a picture of both Carlos Ruiz and Stevie Wonder:

Photo_38737EF2-0165-573D-250C-FAEFDAE7BE93

My stinky boys. Priceless.

Stay tuned for future bites. Literally.

5 comments:

SissySees said...

Oh my!! That's quite a start to the tail - er tale... ;)

And Sis says one-eyed critters can manage just fine.

Sue said...

Hmm... thought you were going to say you bought three blind mice. Guess not.I used to have white rats so I know what you mean about the smell, but I ever did grow very attached to them.

Donna Lee said...

You're a better man than I Gunga Din! I suffered through hamsters, gerbils and guinea pigs when my girls were small (for a while I thought of them as disposable pets since their life spans are not terribly long). I got bit so many times it was no longer funny. I did not mourn the death of the last one......


But I wish you and Stevie and Carlos a long and happy life together.

Bridget said...

Hooray for you! I love the names you gave them. :-)

Happy Thanksgiving!

JerseyJennyW said...

Just needed to clarify that Petsmart is all about animals - they don't sell cats & dogs. Instead they let local shelters keep animals in the stores to save their lives AND find them adoptive homes. None of the small animals are EVER sold as food to the knowledge of the employees either, not even the mice. Petsmart sells and advertises pre-packaged frozen mice.

On that note, I'm super happy you convinced yourself that these guys were gonna be snake food and brought them home. If I needed more pets, these little munchkins are definitely cute!